Superannuation

  1. Home
  2. /
  3. Superannuation

Superannuation

Let us help you set up a self-managed superannuation fund (SMSF) so you can use your retirement money to invest in properties today and start building wealth on autopilot.

By having control over your SMSF, you get to decide what investments you make as long as they are in line with current SMSF legislation.

Fortunately, properties are among the investments you’re legally allowed to make using your SMSF, which, in turn, puts you in a position to save up to several hundreds of thousands of dollars if you ever decide to sell during the pension phase.

To give you a better idea of how this works, let’s take a look at some sample numbers* you can expect when you invest in a property outside your SMSF:

Purchase Price: $400,000
Anticipated Rate of Growth: 6% per annum
Investment Term: 20 Years

Average Annual Capital Growth: $44,142.71
Capital Growth After 20 Years: $882,854
Property Value at 20 Years: $1,282,854

Sale Price (Upon Retirement): $1,282,854
Capital Gain/Loss: $882,854 (Sale Price – Purchase Price)
Capital Gains Tax: 46.5% x $441,427 = $205,263 (Marginal Tax Rate x 50% Capital Gain)

Had you purchased the same property through your SMSF, you won’t have to worry about paying that $205,263 capital gains tax. Imagine what you can do with all that extra retirement money? And that’s just from one property! How much more will you save if you had a multi-property porfolio?

*Under the law, we cannot guarantee or promise any results. The above information is an indication only and is not a guarantee of future results. You should seek advice from a qualified professional. Sources for this information and graph: www.yourmortgage.com.au & www.brewsters.com.au

But that’s not all!

During the SMSF saving phase, the maximum tax you are required to pay is 15%, which, in most cases, gets lowered, thanks to rebates and deductions. Compare this with the 45% you have to give up if you tried building wealth outside the fund and you immediately see why an SMSF is the better choice.

You can also use your SMSF to just fund 20-30% of the total purchase price of all the properties you buy and leave the remaining 70% (for commercial properties) to 80% (for residential properties) to lending firms, who, in turn, would get your loan payments from the fund instead of your personal bank account.

And, if you own a business, you can also rent your own SMSF-bought property so the money goes back to your fund instead of someone else’s pockets.

Finally, commercial and residential properties held in an SMSF can give you all sorts of tax, business, and asset protection benefits.

The cost to set up your SMSF, for example, can be paid either out of your fund balance or taxable income. The latter lets you claim the expense as a deduction for tax advice.

Talk to us today to learn more and get started setting up your own SMSF!

Menu